The expected project's outputs are:
• Common application standards and operational methodologies for the quality control of drinking water, the avoidance of water loss and the conservation of water within the urban settlement.
• Mapping of the protected areas registry for the recording of the water sources (underground water drills) and mapping of the pressures applied on them at a river basin level.
• Pilot establishment and use of telemetric control of drinking water (in the Municipality of Oraiokastro and Blagoevgrad) for the control of leakage, early tracing and confrontation of a potential pollution incident and real-time monitoring of the water quantity and quality parameters.
The expected results include:
• The sustainable management of urban water and the conservation of water resources through the use of IT technology.
• The reduction of operational and managerial costs of the drinking water and irrigation networks in urban areas.
• The early identification and/or prevention of potential accidents (leakage, pollution etc.) and the increased citizens’ sense of security and safety.
• The education of the public and of the local administration’s personnel on water conservation.
• The development of required maturity for the future financing of infrastructure projects.
• The development of tools to support and facilitate the operational duties of water directorates in response to the requirement of Water Framework Directive